Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Journal 095

Today is my day.

Today is the day that I celebrate the one thing I did in my life that was worthwhile and took an effort. Most people celebrate their birthdays. But when I think about it there are probably only about 6 people that actually know my birthday; and the last two years I spent it alone anyway. That’s not a problem though; I mean a birthday is just the date that you have lived one more complete year. And isn’t that what you are supposed to do anyway?

I don’t celebrate things I am supposed to do.

Now the event I am celebrating, and that I have asked each of you to celebrate in your own way, didn’t occur on this date. If I remember correctly it happened sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas back in 1978 I think. But we all have enough going on during that time of year, so I doubt anyone would have time to participate. So I picked March 02 a few years ago.

Today I will have a lunch date. Yes, an actual guy / girl date. I am going to a nice restaurant also, not just Jack in the Box. And I will have a glass of wine and there will be a candle on the table. (Geez, I hope I’m not ruining a surprise). Hopefully, and if all things in the universe align, I will meet the same person for drinks later in the evening.

Wow, what a busy day.

I refuse to have anger issues, think about things I never got, remember times I had with other people, or contemplate the reality of life. Today I will be the person I wished I was. Today I will be the guy that deserves an award for service to his country, his friends and his family. Today I get to behave like a hero. Today I am a guy that deserves a date with someone that gives a shit about me.


No, that wasn’t my motto. It was the motto of my co-workers, and the motto I adopted. They didn’t treat me like I was an outsider though. They treated me like one of them. The only difference between us was that they took orders and had to report everything. I took orders and vanished off of the global radar screen. No one really knew what I was doing, how I was doing it, when I was doing it or why I was doing it. And no one ever asked.

Basically no one cared.

The only other difference was that if they were injured (or worse) then someone would come for them. No one ever came for me. No one ever came for any of the other guys in my “class”. You know, now that I think about it I really don’t even know most of their names. Oh well, I doubt they knew mine either.

So wear a pin, a flag, or a patriotic, ultra sexy thong. Think about me one time today. I never ask for respect, but today each of you will live, drink, eat, have sex and love someone because some slug like me did unthinkable things without ever getting a thank you or a pat on the back. I know you are busy with life. Just carve out 30 seconds to find something unique to wear and take another 60 seconds to think about how great your life is, and all the things that have happened behind the scenes to give you the opportunities you have today. Oh, and take 5 seconds to think about me. It’s not too much to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment