Monday, March 7, 2011

My Journal 097

I went to the strand this weekend. It was Mardi Gras there too. It wasn’t very busy though. It was cold, windy and raining. And due to the weather, no hot chicks were flashing anyone. But it was still nice to be somewhere doing something.

There was somewhere else I had hoped to be. I had sort of tentatively made plans, but at 11:00 am Saturday I abandoned them and made my own fun. And it was fun. As usual, I easily made new friends, had a bunch of beer, made a fool of myself, and just had some wild fun in the rain.

But here is the part why I write about it. The rain left, the wind died down, and the sun came out late in the afternoon. So I made my way to West Beach. It was isolated due to the weather earlier in the day. By the time I got there the sun was setting on the horizon.

Now if you know me, or have read my journals, you should know by now that I love to watch the sun set. It is always more beautiful than the last sunset I saw. If you have never taken a moment to watch the sun set, you should once. For me, this incredible feeling of calm overcomes me. For a moment, nothing is wrong in my world.

But also, when I watch the sun set I remember that nothing is forever. The sun will always set, indicating that the day is over. So whether it was the best day of your life, the worst day of your life, or probably something in between; it always ends. It ends so a new day can begin. To me, knowing that there is a chance for a new beginning is one of the things that keep me going.

Yet the sunset also reminds me of one more thing. It reminds me that NOTHING is forever. Yup, that includes you and me. I will see my last sunset some day. I will have that calm feeling for the last time some day. And when I do, something new will begin. It may be something better, or it may be total darkness for eternity. But whatever it is, I will be ready.

Another thing happened this weekend that is worth mentioning. I was speaking to a friend about nothing really. It was a lot of idle chit chat. She can make me laugh like no one else. But then somehow she directed the conversations to talking about the two of us.

Then she asked this question, “Would you risk your life for me on faith only?”

I hesitated. She noticed that I hesitated. To be honest, if I saw her in danger then I would definitely race to save her. I wouldn’t care about my personal health; I would just want to keep her safe. There is no question in my mind about that. But when she added, “on faith only” I balked.

Once I realized that I had hesitated, I quickly began one of my BS explanations. She has street smarts, maybe more than me. So she saw through me and stopped me. There was silence for a moment, and then she asked another question.

“Is there someone else that you would risk your life for on faith only?”

Again I hesitated, but for a very different reason. There are a few people that I would risk my life for on faith only; and one in particular. But I honestly didn’t think that telling her this at that moment was a good idea. Again, she saw right through me.

Her final comment was, “When you can honestly say yes to me, then you are ready for a relationship with me. Until then, please . . .”

I knew what she was going to say, and she knew it too. She just hung up.

Another week down, and a new week beginning. I still have a lot of personal dilemmas with which I am coping. But it is a new week because the sun set last night too.

No comments:

Post a Comment