Friday, October 22, 2010

My Journal 038

I am part Cherokee Indian. I have enough Cherokee in me that I was able to register as a Cherokee, but I am the last of the generation that will be able to do this. My Great-Grandmother was Cherokee, which is who I get it from. Last night was a special night in Cherokee lore and I would like to share it with you. But first, the story of my family.

All of this has been told to me. I will share the authors at the end. But as everything I have told you before I know to be true, I want to prefaces this by letting you know that this is all hear-say. But it was shared by several people, and the story was the same each time.

My great-grandmother was named White Swan. I am sure in your history class you have heard of the “trail of tears”. This was where they moved the Cherokee tribe from up north to points all over the south, while hoping that they all died along the way. White Swan’s clan ended up settling north of Seguin and south of San Marcos. Her name was chosen by her mother, who had visited the San Marcos River. Swans dot this river to this day, but it was the first swans her mother had ever seen. It was so beautiful that she chose this name for her first daughter.

During this same time, my great-grandfather was a Texas Ranger and the Sheriff of Seguin. I was told he had several “claims of fame”, but he was known for two important facts. One, he wouldn’t hang men. If you broke the law, and were convicted, he would make you spend your time helping the family you hurt. So if a man were convicted of murder, my great grandfather would take him to the family of the man he killed and he would have to perform the deceased work for the rest of his life.

Also, he was known as a fairly fast draw, but more than that; very accurate with a handgun. Supposedly he never missed. I recall my father teaching me and my brother weapons and constantly saying, “We never miss”. I guess that it is genetic. Actually he became sort of a folk hero for his actions as Sheriff. I have seen his picture in the Seguin city hall as recent as a year ago. I understand he is also in the Texas Ranger Hall of fame (No, not the baseball team).

One day, my GGF was paid a visit. A man rode into town to inform him that the “Hole in the Wall” gang was heading through Texas, and would be passing right through Seguin. I am sure you’ve seen the movie, “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid”. Well they were the leaders of this “Hole in the Wall Gang”. Of course in the movie Robert Redford and Paul Newman made these two characters seem cute, funny, and great guys to hang out with. But in reality they were thieves, rapists and murders.

My GGF was not going to allow this to happen. So he organized a group of men and planned an ambush just north of Seguin. He figured he would just kill them somewhere on the trail, and not worry about them stealing, raping and killing in Seguin. But his plan began to unravel soon after this. He had met a Cherokee hunter several years ago. Now the Cherokee and the settlers didn’t coexist well. So having a Cherokee friend was back then like being labeled a pervert today. So their friendship was kept private.

But they had met hunting deer several years earlier. They didn’t hit it off well at first, but when they ran into each other at the same place a year later they began to admire each other, and became good friends. He had taken a big risk coming into Seguin to speak to my GGF. He warned him that the Cherokee warriors were planning an attack on the same gang, as they didn’t want their women raped by the devils.

This news concerned my GGF. He didn’t want simultaneous attacks because the Cherokee may mistake his men for the gang’s men. It would create confusion. And he knew that the Cherokee wouldn’t be deterred. So he decided to move his attack farther north, beyond the Cherokee camp. He thought that by doing this he could mount his own ambush before the gang reached the Cherokee land.

But then another problem arose. The men he had organized found out that he was moving the ambush to help the Cherokee. No one liked the Cherokee and much less would help them. Many arguments ensued, but in the end it was determined that the men helping my GGF would not set up north of the Cherokee land.

So my GGF decided to face Butch Cassidy, the Sundance Kid, and the remaining 10 members of the hole in the wall gang alone. He figured an ambush of one man on twelve was ridiculous. So he put on his best church suit (In case he died) his white hat, and rode north of the Cherokee land where he stood alone on the road awaiting the dreaded bad guys.

I am told that when the gang came upon my GGF, he was standing in the middle of the trail with his jacked pulled behind his revolver. He also had a double barrel shotgun in his other hand, but lying on the top of his shoulder. Oh, and a big wad of tobacco in his mouth. When the gang got within ear shot of him he informed them that they would not be allowed to pass. He gave them directions to an alternate trail running about 50 miles west of Seguin.

Apparently Butch hadn’t heard of my GGF’s reputation. He just laughed. Also, Butch and Sundance were the leaders, but I was told that they were not the fastest guns or the deadliest. One of their gang, William Matthew Carver, was their shooter and he was fast. Sundance told Carver to dismount and draw against my GGF. My GGF did warn him one more time I am told, but Carver drew and fired faster than my GGF, but he missed. My GGF fired a split second later, and never misses. He hit Carver in the leg and dropped him.

At this point I am told that my GGF repeated the directions. Apparently Carver went for his pistol again, and my GGF shot him through the wrist. Then another member of the gang went for their pistol also. My GGF lowered his shotgun and made a comment about blowing his horses head through the man’s stomach.

Sundance stepped off his horse, helped Carver onto his horse, and they took the direction my GGF had given them. I understand that this gang was heading to Mexico, but they dropped Carver off in San Antonio for medical help. He never regained complete use of his hand, but he was able to walk again. He ended up enjoying San Antonio so much that he decided to stay there. He never rejoined the gang. He married a Mexican woman and started a family (Careful, foreshadowing)

While all this was going on, three Cherokee warriors were watching from a field nearby. After the gang left they approached my GGF to thank him for making the gang leave. The Cherokee were so thankful that they invited him to a celebration. Apparently my GGF is just like me, after a good fight you need a good party. So my GGF went to the celebration.

This is where he met White Swan, my GGM. Apparently he was attracted to her immediately. Men in our family tend to ignore most relationships, but when we finally see THE ONE, well we just sort of go crazy until we get what we want. My GGM had no interest in my GGF. She told him this many times, as did the tribal council. No one wanted my GGF around White Swan. But he wouldn’t give up. For months he rode out to the land twice a week just to try to see her. For months the tribe stopped him.

MY GGM began to become impressed with his persistence. She told her mother that any man brave enough to stand up to 12 armed devils was a powerful man. And any many that would put up with all the rejections the tribe had used, but still kept trying was a good and decent man. My GGM told her mother that she would consider him.

This created problems. First, the Cherokee don’t believe in love (Sound familiar?) and don’t even have a word for it. A marriage is arranged based on skills and to produce offspring, period. Second, my GGM had been promised to Gray Bear, the leader of the warrior section of the tribe. Third, Cherokee’s didn’t mix. The Cherokee was very organized and meticulous, and they feared that breeding outside of the tribe would dilute their persona.

But, my GGM went to the council anyway. I am told that she didn’t ask to marry my GGF, she DEMANDED it. She was refused permission, so she ran off and found my GGF. He was a man of dignity, so he returned her to the tribe. Upon seeing her dedication to this request, and knowing that my GGF had turned back the devils, and had returned their daughter; they decided to give my GGF a chance to gain a Cherokee name.

Basically, back then all you had to do was be approved by the council and given a Cherokee name. A Cherokee had to present you to the tribe. Once accepted, you became a u-we-tsi-dv-hi (Son of another). The person that presents you could only present one person a lifetime, they had to pick your name, they had to basically be a servant to the person they were bringing in to assure the tribe that this person was worthy, and the ceremony had to be held during the fall “Sky of arrows” display.

The Cherokee were very intelligent. They knew that once a year, in late October, the sky lit up with flaming arrows. They believed that these were the arrows of their fore fathers, letting them know that all is well. We know that each October the earth travels though the tail of Haley’s comet, and what we see is the meteors burning up in our atmosphere. But to the Cherokee was the most sacred night.

The council did not want my GGF in the tribe, but my GGM was a VERY DEMANDING lady. So the council came up with some tests that my GGF had to pass. This was in late September, so time was running out before the Sky of Arrows arrived. These tests were designed to be physical, mental and emotional; and created so that my GGF could not possibly pass them all. But our family is very persistent and never learned how to quit, especially when it comes to that one special woman. So he not only passed EVERY test, he passed them so significantly that he actually impressed the council.

He was given his name and allowed to marry my GGM. This is how I came to be.

So, if anyone ever asks if they can give you a Cherokee name it is a HUGE honor; and the greatest honor a Cherokee can bestow. It can only be given by that person one time in a lifetime. It is for an eternity. It must be done on the night of the Sky of Arrows. They must stand facing the sky and focus on a single arrow. Once done, the Cherokee is responsible for the life of the individual forever. The Cherokee basically becomes a slave to the person they present. It is a big deal to the Cherokee. It should be consider the greatest honor of respect a Cherokee can give to someone.

OK, part of this story was told to me by my grandfather. We were very close. He was the one who made me read the entire bible, and would make me discuss passages to ensure I had a good understanding. He taught me to think, and not to learn. He wanted me to be independent in thought. He also shared Cherokee rituals with me. He insisted that these rituals were real, and that someday in a vision quest I would hear from my Great-grandmother. His grandmother told him the part of the story about joining the tribe.

The part about facing the “Hole in the Wall” gang was told to me by the parents of one of my best childhood friends, Matt Carver. He was the great grandson of William Matthew Carver, a member of the “Hole in the Wall” gang. Carver told Matt’s father about the incident on the trail before Matt and I ever met. So that part of the story came from the man my GGF shot.

Last night was a very spiritual night, as last night was the night of the Sky of Arrows. Last night was the only night in a year that an honor can be bestowed. I was outside last night, watching the arrow of my Great-grandmother. She had told me to be there in a vision quest, she said I had to do something for her. Her arrow was true as I did exactly what she had told me to do. Now I just have to live life and find out if the rest of my vision quest comes true as well.

I am leaving for a while. I have to deal with something that has been bothering me. So internet access is not possible. My phone still will work, but there will be no posting for a week or so. I have a poem below where I try to explain where I am today. What I have to do is also part of my vision quest, and I hope to return very soon.

I am responsible for someone.

Have a fantastic week, I will definitely miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment