Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My Journal 157

I was recently asked why I don’t do Facebook, MySpace, or any of these odd web based social gathering programs. It’s simple. I have no urge to post crap about me for just anyone to read (I say that as I type here), I absolutely don’t understand what I am supposed to do (Yup, I set one up for about two weeks), and also because I still wonder if someone is out there looking for me.

I once asked if someone could explain the popularity of these pages to me. No one came forward. I am beginning to think it’s the old “lamb” scenario. Someone hears that this hot chick does MyFace and immediately joins, partly to try to see naked pictures of her but also to be in social compliance. Everyone just follows along . . . like lambs.

When I had one it was so freakin’ boring. I would check it about every third day and it looked exactly the same as the last time I looked. No one asked to be a friend, except some drop dead model with 3,000 friends (Sure, like I really buy that she picked me) and I had no idea how to find anyone, or even if there was anyone I wanted to find. It was a lot of advertisements and suggestions for games. I never figured out how to play the games, so that was a waste too.

There was a box where you could type something, and it would appear. But you could only type about a paragraph and you all know I can express a lot more than a paragraphs worth of crap. So I never really understood what I was supposed to do with that box.

It had a place where you could store your pictures. Frankly, I avoid pictures. I already know what I look like too, so if some lucky stiff happens to catch me in a photo I have no interest in seeing it; much less saving it for someone else to see. So I couldn’t figure out the purpose of that screen.

I didn’t use my real name either. I thought why? I didn’t want anyone to know who I am. There was a profile area. It was a bunch of questions that were sort of personal, like where I live and where I work, or what music I like. Hey, maybe it’s really a “pick-up” site. Why else would anyone give a crap about the music some stranger on FaceSpace likes?

Oh, I remember now. Someone did tell me that you could keep up with your friends. Huh? Listen people, if you have to keep a web page to keep up with someone do you think that maybe they are not really a friend? Of course the term friend means something very different on the internet I think. To me a friend is someone that knows the real me, and tolerates me in spite of it. Not someone that posts, “At the groomers”; like I really give a crap about someone going to the groomers.

And someone did tell me that they have a “check in” program. So if you walk into a bar and see someone you know, they could check you in to that bar. Basically then everyone in the world knows you’re an alcoholic or a bar fly. I don’t see the sense in that either.

So, you can have all the social internet gathering places. As for me, I’ll still walk up to a pretty girl and talk to her. If she is cool, I will turn on my charm and chat her out of her panties. Now let’s see someone do that over the internet. And when I send a drink to a lady, she actually gets to enjoy it; not just gaze at a picture of a drink.

So count me out, I’m no lamb!

No comments:

Post a Comment