Friday, August 12, 2011

My Journal 159

I need to possibly clear up a little confusion about the new timing of my journals. In the ultimate wisdom of the person in charge of the computer network here, I was blocked from going to that particular web site. So what I do now, since I usually write very early in the morning if I have nothing else pending, is to write my thoughts down one day, and post them then next morning. I have to actually go to another company in the same building and use their computer to post my journals.

Argh!

So what you may see as being posted on a Thursday is really my thoughts from Wednesday morning. And when I mention that I did something “last night”, keep in mind that by the time it posts it is probably two days ago when I did that particular deed. Comprende?

This particular blog is even more dated. I knew I will be off on Friday. As I mentioned, due to recent events in my personal life I decided I needed to go get blasted one night, raise some hell, chase some tail, and maybe even pick another of my infamous fights. By knowing that I wouldn’t be here Friday morning (perhaps in jail somewhere again) I actually am writing this Wednesday evening, yet you won’t read it until Friday at the earliest.

I’m just trying to keep you up to speed on my unusual life.

OK, today’s topic is Fantasy Football . . . .

Hey, wait a minute! Come back! I realize that all of my readers are female, but I can even make this topic interesting so sit down and keep reading.

For those of you who are not familiar, the NFL season is starting very soon. In my youth my first goal in life was to play in the NFL. Football was my love. I still say today that if ANYONE ever walks out of that tunnel prior to a game, with 20,000 fans all pumped up, hoping to see their team beat the arch rival, reliving their childhood fantasies, and as you walk out and all these fans see you they stand an scream your name; then that rush would make you love the game as well. Or better yet, if you were in a tough game with a hated opponent and in a blink you step in front of a pass and take it 80 yards the other direction while listening to your side of the stadium go crazy with joy and the opponents side simply letting out one loud gasp of horror; you too would LOVE the game.

Moving on . . . .

On any given Sunday you will have about 14 NFL football games going on. Everyone has their favorite team that they have to watch. And there are usually one or two games where the matchups are so strong that you want to watch those games as well. But that leaves about 11 games that are of no immediate interest to you.

The solution to making the other games interesting is called Fantasy Football. And here is how it works.

You join a league with some friends. Basically you just all sign up to an internet program and claim you are a group. Prior to the start of the season you have a draft. What happens here is you attempt to pick the specific players that you believe will gain the most yards or score the most touchdowns for the entire season. Once the draft is complete you have your team.

Your team is a mixture of players from every team in the NFL. So you could be starting the quarterback from team A and the receiver from team B. Now the odds show that every week you will have players involved in one of those 11 uninteresting games. Yet because your guy is out there, and because you have money riding on his performance, you watch the game and it becomes extremely interesting.

Let me try to put this in terms you may appreciate.

I understand that most women enjoy watching the show Desperate Housewives. I also have heard that in this show several women tend to argue or fight among themselves, which is why women tune in once a week.

But suppose that instead of one show a week, the network puts on four shows a week. And in each show one woman has an argument with another specific woman. So woman A argues with woman B on channel 1, while woman C is arguing with woman D on channel 2. Now you may not care for woman E and F, so you would have no interest in watching them argue.

Still with me out there?

But what if you and your girlfriends bet that woman E would use the word “bitch” four times in one argument? You would have your hard earned money riding on her using that word. Suddenly, that episode, which was uninteresting originally, becomes very interesting to you. And you watch it for your own benefit and / or entertainment.

That is the concept I am trying to share.

Now throw into the mix that in Fantasy Football you are actually competing against friends, then suddenly “trash talking” and side bets become the norm. Each week you play against one of your friends. The players you pick play the real game, as does the players your friend picks. At the end of the week’s games, the computer tallies up the points your players scored and the points your friend’s players scored. Whoever scores the most wins for that week.

You repeat this process each week for 13 weeks. Each week you can trade players, drop players and pick up new players. But by the time the game starts your team is locked. After 13 weeks, the four friends with the best win and loss record have a playoff. The ultimate winner claims all the money.

Anyway, it’s a great way to keep me entertained.

The reason I am bringing this up is that this year I am allowing any of you that want to feel the rush to participate. A few years ago HMPOA worked with me, and last year Sunshine helped a bit. But this year anyone that has an interest can contact me and we will go through the season together. Heck, I’ll even let you make a few of the close choices that need to be made.

So let me know. Have a great weekend and hopefully I’ve gotten “someone” out of my mind by the time you read this . . . . and hopefully I am not in jail!!!!

Luv you gals!

No comments:

Post a Comment