Monday, September 19, 2011

My Journal 179

Ok, this one may be boring for most of you. It has to do with heritage and a special event. Hang around if you want or simply tune in tomorrow.

I am part Cherokee; part English and a little German. My mom told me my anger comes from the German part, my athleticism comes from the Cherokee part, and my looks come from the English part. I would always reply that the English must be really ugly.

I wrote once before about how my great grandfather and great grandmother met. Well their son, my grandfather, took the time to try to teach me as much of my Cherokee heritage as he could. Some things took and of course some didn’t. But this week, something that I always found very important happens.

It is called “The night of Arrows”. On this night, the stars each represent a Cherokee soul that has passed on. I am told that it is a night where your relatives look down on you to see how you are doing, and where you can look up and feel their presence.

[I know, it may sound silly but I can feel it]

It is a big night for many reasons other than this one benefit. Many traditions can be sidestepped on this one night a year. No, it’s not like you can go kill someone or be rude for a night. But you can do certain things which normally weren’t allowed.

For example, give a Cherokee name to someone with no Cherokee heritage. Now you can only do this once a lifetime, but this is the night for it. It’s actually a sign of respect, but many used it as a sign of love. Traditionally, you have to be touching the chest of the person when you assign a Cherokee name. And no, that is not a sexual thing. By placing your hand on the chest you are close to their heart. This is the time you can feel if they believe or not.

You look at your ancestors in the sky, you place your hands on the person, you recite some words, and you select a Cherokee name for them. From that point forward, you are responsible for that person. Not only must you keep them an honorable person, but you are responsible for their well-being. And for them, they have the spirit of your Cherokee ancestors watching over them as well.

[As silly as it sounds it is a big deal]

It was always very difficult to be accepted by the Cherokee’s. The blood line was the most important thing to them. They didn’t bring outsiders into the tribe regularly. Which may be why this is such a big deal to me. My great grandfather was brought in to marry my great grandmother who was Cherokee. Had this not been allowed I would not be here today.

And no, as a great grandson of a Cherokee it is not required that I marry a Cherokee. Giving a Cherokee name is how we show great respect for someone. At least for me that would be the case.

So when this night arrives, and it will be this week, I will be outside looking up to the stars. I will put my life on hold for a moment to remember my relatives, and those for which I am responsible.

[I told you it might be boring]

Back to my normal ramblings tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment