Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Journal 181

I’m not the type of person that requires acknowledgement for things I do. But on occasion I would enjoy a tiny bit of recognition. It is nice to be noticed once in a while, right?

Last summer I was offered an award by the city. That was sort of cool. But it wasn’t as great as it could have been because the person I asked to attend this event with me never replied. I ended up taking my buddy the judge as a last second stand in. He gave a good presentation speech, but that event turned out to be less than stupendous because of the “stood up” effect; so that one doesn’t count.

[A slap to the ass of the person that ruined it!]

This morning I got a call from a chick with which I went to High School. Apparently we have an Alumni Association and she is the President. Go figure!

I think I mentioned in previous journals that my High School added an awards case that is the length of a football field. It is rather impressive too. Well someone has decided that it would be cool to have some kind of a grand opening of this case (even though it’s been there for a few years). So this someone has picked about 20 past students that are represented in this case, and have asked the Alumni Association to track them down and ask them to attend the Homecoming game this year for a gala halftime presentation.

[Ho-hum]

I am one of these 20 or so past students that they would like to be a part of this gala. So this chick asked me if I would be willing to attend. Of course they won’t foot the bill for gas or lodging, but it was stressed that this is a big deal and my attendance would be important. Also, each of us will be introduced and our accomplishments will be highlighted during the ceremony.

[Ok, now they’ve got my interest.]

But as I am listening to the sales pitch, I remember that everything I have in that case is related to my Track and Field accomplishments. Yup, Mr. Football doesn’t have a single football related mention in this HUGE awards case. So I asked the question.

“Exactly what accomplishments of mine will you be celebrating?”

Ok, being stood up by a hot chick / friend when you are receiving an award for heroism is bad. But that was a quick decision and the entire event lasted about 3 minutes. Yet spending a life time accomplishing great things in the sport you love, and then being told that you are to be recognized for winning the Sprint Relay in the State Track and Field meet is more anti-climatic.

[Hey, I JUST ran track to stay in shape. I hated it]

Sure, WHEN there was an Official Track and Field meet, the “Alpha male, can’t lose no matter what, and super competitive” me would kick in and I would bust my ass to win. And it is true that there is no way with my personality that I could stand next to another athlete and concede that he is better than me. But it was all just whatever ability I could muster on that day. I didn’t train for it or try to improve myself one bit. I cheated and cut track practice, always did the minimum required, and then ran off to get high.

[Hmmm, run a bunch on a spring afternoon OR hang out with hot chicks in bikinis? Definitely not a tough call for me]

They want me and the other three members of that relay team to be on the field together. Heck, one of those guys I didn’t even like. Sure, we were the fastest four guys in the state that year. But what about my football accomplishments? I wasn’t a bum on the football field ya know!

[Dag-nabbit, this is why I don’t want recognition . . . it ALWAYS gets screwed up]

Needless to say I politely declined. I have no idea if the rest of that relay team will show up or not. I sort of hope at least one other dude doesn’t show up. To be the ONLY member not there would be slightly embarrassing. Oh, but then again I hear that Tony (a member of our relay team) is currently a bum living under a bridge somewhere. So they won’t be able to call him. Well that’s one other no-show.

Anyway, I have decided to give myself an award. And since you all know me you can guess the award I will give myself.

[But deftness with my tongue would be a good hint!]

Hey! Athletics isn’t my only skill!

Anyone want to attend the awards celebration?

No comments:

Post a Comment