Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Journal #357 - Yellow Ribbons

Way back in the 70’s, or maybe it was the 60’s, a song was written by Tony Orlando. The song was about a guy that we assume just gets out of jail, or perhaps a relationship. He writes a letter to his love to let her know he’s coming home. But he’s not sure if she wants him. He apologizes for leaving and simply asks her to tie a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree in the front yard if she’s interested. If there is no yellow ribbon when he comes by, he will keep on driving.
 
If you know me you know I LOVE the thrill of the hunt. I like meeting new people, talking to them, and getting to know them. I make a great first impression I am told. But then everything always sort of gets complicated. I’m sort of beginning to believe that when I decided to accept or try for a relationship I move to fast.
 
You see, when I decided something is right then there is no wasting time. I jump. My problem seems to be that most other people enjoy moving fast when it’s casual, but then prefer to slow down when it becomes serious. I never understood that. If two people can quickly get along well enough to go out, hang out, hook up, or whatever; then why not move to the next lever just as quickly?
 
[My 21 year old self wouldn’t believe that I am having this conversation, by the way]
 
I spent over two years battling this war with Sunshine. This weekend I got an email from Sunshine’s friend telling me it was ok to give up on “that chunky slut”. (Her words, not mine) I’m not sure what happened there but I know her friend is always concerned about Sunshine’s kids and how Sunshine supposedly abuses them. I’ve never seen it so I don’t know. But apparently she has moved to hopeless.
 
[And for the record, I still find Sunshine amazing!]
 
Anyway, now I’m in the same place with Mustang. The funny thing was at first she was the aggressor, talking about us hanging out at her pool, having Thanksgiving together, and other things. Of course this conversation was a bedroom discussion, so I listened and paid attention. But seriously, I enjoyed it this time. It was nice making plans with someone.
 
Well then as we all know, Sunshine showed up one Bloody Sunday and all hell broke loose. Now I seem to be fighting to get Mustang’s attention. Ok, she is very busy as she just bought a house. And she isn’t rude, she’s still somewhat romantic. But I haven’t seen her in a week and I’m going bat shit crazy.
 
So I was wondering how simple life would be with yellow ribbons? I could just call Mustang up, tell her how I feel, and let her know if she feels the same to tie a yellow ribbon around her old oak tree.
 
How romantic!
 
I’ll keep you informed.
 
Oh, by the way . . . .
 
In the Tony Orlando song there were a thousand yellow ribbons tied around EVERY tree for miles when he drove by.

No comments:

Post a Comment