Sunday, November 18, 2012

My Journal #363 - A shooting

First, I am fine.

Once we finished giving shots today my cousin got a call from his dad. He wanted us to drive the property before sunset. This is a task we do to ensure there are no squatters. Occasionally, individuals will set up camp on the property. If we don’t encourage them to leave, then by law they develop rights over time. It’s a sad job, but one that has to be done.

As I have mentioned, I don’t do weapons. I know how, I’ve used them before, but I choose not to now. My brother and cousin did though; for protection. We had traversed the property and it was dusk. We were returning to the house when we saw a fire. We turned off the trail to examine; and that is when it happened.

I was driving. I saw a flash, heard a hiss, and then heard the crack of a rifle. I know it sounds backwards, but that is how it goes when someone fires upon you. The round missed me by inches. My brother and cousin immediately returned fire. There were no more shots, and we never found the shooter.

As most of you know, I’ve been shot at before. I’ve never been hit or even scratched. I’d like to think I have some force field around me to wart off bullets. But I imagine the truth is I haven’t come across someone accurate enough to hit me.

Unfortunately, the event did take me back to a bad place. When we got back to the house to pack up (I had promised to go see Suze) I was actually shaking. I’ve never done that before. I remembered all the fire fights I had been in before. I sat quietly thinking of every single shot that hissed by me, or bounce off of something near me.

Then I wondered why I lived.

I drove back to Houston alone. I considered these events all the way back. I went straight to see Suze.

[Thanks for being there Suze]

I do believe in a supreme being. I do believe that everyone has to deal with trials and tribulations. I do believe that my supreme being won’t give me more than I can handle. But wow, I’m not superman.

My life has been so brutal. I keep thinking that tomorrow is the day that all the good things begin to happen. Yet every night I look back on the day and wonder why. Tonight I wonder why me.

Lord, I’d love to be anybody else for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment