Monday, January 17, 2011

My Journal 065

I stopped at my usual bar one evening last week to have a drink while traffic cleared out for the evening. I was sitting at the bar when a girl sat on the stool next to me. She gave me her name (which has since slipped my mind) and asked if I would buy her a drink.

For those of you that don’t know, last week was an extremely frustrating and disappointing week for me. When I have had moments like that I tend to be very short with people. Prior to this girl’s arrival I was very content sipping on my beer, gazing at the TV, and pondering my thoughts. Before I even looked her way, or even knew I was speaking I heard myself say, “And what do I get out of the deal?”

It probably was rude, but I’ll stick with just being short with her. Immediately after I heard my own words, I assumed I would get a nasty look, a comment or that she would simply move away. But she was a good sport I guess so she quipped back, “You will get the pleasure of my company and someone to talk to for a while. And if you are half as entertaining as you are sexy then maybe more later.”

Yes, I think that she hit on me. But that isn’t the point of this journal. We did have a few drinks and some nice conversation. But what hit me later were her initial action and her comment. And no, I didn’t take her home. She walked me to my car, gave me a hug and a really decent kiss, but I left alone. Remember that I was in a funky mood last week. She was a brunette anyway.

But these two questions were on my mind later that night.

·          When did it become acceptable for females to pander for drinks in a bar?
·          If we had proceeded to sex, would we have committed an act of prostitution?

As far as I can remember, females approach guys to buy their drinks. I guess it is the standard because I have heard from many women that they can go out with little or no cash and always have a good evening and plenty to drink. I wondered if it had always been that way. Maybe in the 18th century women had to buy their own drinks. But by definition they are pandering.

I wondered what would have happened if I had walked up to a female and reversed the conversation. Could you see me, or any guy, asking a female to buy them a drink in exchange for the pleasure of my company? Am I worth two drinks just to be seen with? Am I entertaining enough to justify a drink for conversation arrangement? I think that I am.

There are many nights when I want to go out but I realize that I have just enough cash for me. I actually don’t go out on occasions for this one reason. That’s not right. If I have twenty dollars, and want to have 3 drinks I should be able to go an enjoy them. But instead I worry about not having enough to cover someone else’s drinks so I don’t go. I just find this as odd.

Now let us discuss the second question. Based on her exact words, a prudent man (me included) could ascertain that if we purchase alcohol for the female then we are investing in an opportunity for sex. Isn’t this sort of the definition of prostitution? I believe the definition is an agreement to exchange money (or goods) for sex. So by her stating that sex is an option if I were to spend money and then we actually do have sex, isn’t she a prostitute and I am a John?

I am bright enough to realize that a good lawyer would argue that there was no guarantee of sex, thus no prostitution existed. But I put this to you, if I am confident that I will be able to “charm” her out of her panties simply by buying her drinks, would I know that that there was a guarantee of sex? And if I believed that there was a guarantee of sex wouldn’t we go back to an act of prostitution?

It makes me wonder. But it really should make all my female readers wonder more. Right? What will you be thinking the next time you ask a guy to buy you a drink?

No comments:

Post a Comment