Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Journal 120

I seriously have an Easter topic to discuss, and I guess I am sort of on a deadline here. I mean Easter is right around the corner. But my good friend Lovely Girl is vehemently arguing with my decision from this weekend. Based on our discussions, I believe the root of our disagreement is the definition of a relationship; specifically a friendship.

So I will give you my definition of a relationship among friends. Or at least how I would handle someone I considered a friend since that is how I would expect to be handled as well.

A friend is someone you care about. You don’t have to tell them because you show them every day of your life. Telling them is fine, but if I care for someone then they know it . . . I make sure of it with my actions such as:

If I don’t hear from them in a day or two I will call, text, email of just go see them to make sure everything is ok.

I tell them all the good and bad that happens in my life; not because I have to do this but because I WANT to do this. And they feel exactly the same way. I never am at a loss for where they are, what they are doing, or how they are feeling.

They are a priority to me. I want to see them, talk to them, laugh with them, and whatever else they need. When something really great, or really bad happens, I make them my number 1 priority.

When they need something I respond. When I need something they respond. There is NEVER a delay.

There are no hidden agendas, no secrets, and no lies . . . . EVER.

Now, if someone tells me they are my friend and yet can do none of the above then I feel I have the right to walk away. Seriously, if someone is not doing this then I fell strange doing it. There is a reason that they don’t, and the only logical conclusion is that they don’t want a friendship they just want the illusion of a friendship.

Lovely girl believes that everyone has their own definition, and if I care for the person I should adjust and adapt my thinking to meet their way of thinking. Perhaps she is right. But my question to her (and to you) is how much should I change myself or how many of my needs do I give up before I am acting like a stranger as opposed to a friend?

Also, when is the moment that you are using someone as opposed to being a friend?

I SUCK at friendships and maybe this is why. So I ask you to email me with your thoughts.

PLEASE, this is seriously dominating my life today . . . .

And Lovely Girl won’t back down . .

No comments:

Post a Comment