Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Journal 127

I always prefer face to face conversations over phone conversations. I prefer phone conversations over email conversations. I prefer email conversations over text messages. Text messages are the LAST RESORT.

This is my pecking order of conversations. In a face to face conversation you have complete understanding of the situation. You can watch for signs of emotion as well as indicators of doubt. Plus I am seriously charming in person. J

I think that most of you prefer the “new age” form of communication which is a text message. So I have a test for you today.

But first, let me explain what brought up today’s journal. A few months ago I received an email from a friend. I cared about this friend probably more than I should have cared (Shhh). So any message I got from her I always read it with the mindset that I like her and she likes me. Anyway, here is the line in question.

“You do, for the record, require a lot of energy”

So as I read this the first time I took it as a passing thought. I figured that the person enjoyed spending time with me and enjoyed expending this energy. So I took this as a compliment . . sort of. But change is inevitable, and this particular relationship has changed drastically. Oh, one additional tidbit is that she never has time to actually speak to me so emails and / or text messages has been the only form of communication. So last week I was bored and re-read some of her emails.

I re-read this particular line with the new mindset of “this chick doesn’t have time for me so I was obviously mistaken”. Well, while reading this line again I got an entirely different message. I now understand this quote to be stating that I am a pain in her ass. Suddenly all the hesitation I had about giving up on this chick went away.

In an email or text message you do not know the thought process of the person typing the words. You have to assume their mindset at that particular moment. It’s a damn guess folks. And if you guess wrong then you get the intent of the message wrong.

I think women started this craze, as if us men weren’t confused enough already.

Here is what I want you to do today. Grab a handful of emails and / or text messages from someone in your life. Determine how you BELIEVE that this person feels about you, particularly at the moment that the message was sent to you. Then change this perspective in your mind and read the email / message again. It may bring out a whole new thought process.

My ultimate goal is to form an alliance of individuals and move to ban text messages and emails. Force people to talk to each other again, either face to face or on the phone. Make people react immediately to your words and actions. Take away the opportunity to sit on a message for a while and then respond.

Personally, I think the world would be a much better place then. And the charming people of the world will rule!

No comments:

Post a Comment