Friday, June 8, 2012

My Journal #213 - Texting

Let’s return to my old habit of sending out my Friday SHOUT OUTS.

Martel – Thanks for connecting again. I missed out late night chats.

Banana Rama – I read your advice about this weekend. Thanks and I will try your plan.

HMPOA – Wassup?!?!?

Moonlight (formerly Sunshine) – Welcome home. I’m sure all the males in Houston are thrilled to have you back.

Ok, back to today’s topic. Two years ago I was a TEXTING virgin. I actually tried it about a year prior to that and absolutely hated it. But a few years ago I met someone with which I wanted to keep in touch, so "TAA DAA”!

For those newbies to my page let me share my thoughts on communication. I am a big believer in face to face conversation. I like to read a person while we communicate. And I am the sort of a guy that if I can get close to you, I will learn you. And when I learn you I will charm you. And when I charm you I can get what I want. So without a doubt if I have my “druthers” I’d rather speak face to face with someone.

My second option would be a telephone. I have one that rings when someone calls and I can call someone; and that is it. In my opinion that is all a phone should do.

[Sorry, I digressed]

With a phone I can still get that immediate response, and modify my words as I notice confusion or distress. I can’t read someone over the phone, so I lose the ability to see signs of deceit or confusion. But I can get a much quicker response. And if someone lets me go to voice mail, my conversation is over. You can call back, but you won’t get me.

Next I would choose mail or emails. I can put all my thoughts down, proof them, re-read them, adjust them, and then send them. What I lose is the control over the reply. And I hate to lose control. And if you don’t reply, well it’s like sending me to voice mail. I’m finished with that conversation.

Next would be smoke signals. [That’s a joke]

Ok, my LAST resort is to send a text message. What a waste of technology in my opinion. But I have some friends that demand text messages, and for some un-godly reason I caved in and tried it. So now I’m no longer a TEXTING virgin. But I would say I am still a novice as I choose not to improve my skills.

But in my short stint experiencing the wonder of a text message, I have come up with a few lessons I’ve learned. So here goes a novice view of texting.

People that text have completely forgotten how to spell.

Abbreviations suck.

If you don’t reply to my text message in 5 minutes, then don’t reply at all. If you reply much later I get pissed.

Never include me on a group text. I realize I may have no idea if I were, bit if I ever find out I will delete you from my phone.

Types of text messages:
* Normal Text – An attempt to stay in touch or just let someone know you are alive.
* Drunk Text – An attempt to get laid by simply begging for it. (FYI, it doesn’t work on females)
* Bored Text – An attempt to get through the next 15 minutes by dragging someone else into your boredom.
* Question text – A valid use of a text message. An attempt to collect information.
* Stalker text – An attempt to get someone you know, that doesn’t know you exist, to speak to you.
* Fishing Text – A text sent to all your friends at once to see who will reply and who won’t.
* Attack text – An attempt to get your feelings known while keeping the ability to hide.

I’m sure that there are more, but for the time being this will suffice. Have a great weekend and remember I need some time to myself this weekend to sort shit out.

No comments:

Post a Comment