Sunday, June 10, 2012

My Journal #215 - Am I Wasting my Time?

Another one of my quirks is that I ask myself that question all the time.

But first, I actually wrote down my weekend adventures . . . and then deleted it. I wanted to see a special person, but she wasn’t interested. Then I wanted to vent on a specific person, but I had promised Martel not to do that again. So the story is actually boring.

So back to that question.

Every time I do anything I ask myself that question. Usually it’s with mundane things. For example, if I need something from the store and it’s 6 in the evening I decide if it would be better to go in the morning when there is less traffic and fewer people. Then I would spend less time getting what I need, and waste less time. But I also have to determine if what I need is something I had to have that night. Anyway, you see how it goes.

But if it’s not a mundane task then the thought process extrapolates. That is where I am today. Pertaining to one specific task, I question the amount of time I have invested. I also ask how much more time if any I should invest. I ask what else I could do or what I could have done differently and would that have been less waste of time. I even wonder if the time I’ve invested has put me very close to the result, meaning it wasn’t a waste of time.

[Aren’t you glad that you are not me?]

Well believe it or not, the mis-managed weekend I had helped me solve this riddle. I was thinking about that question when I began wondering if I was even wasting my time wondering if I was wasting my time. It sort of came to me in that moment that if you have to wonder then it’s probably true.

My best friend Banana Rama once told me that you will know if something is right. If you don’t know it then it probably isn’t. This logic applies to this particular question as well. So based on that logic, and having no clue about the thing I’ve been wasting my time on, then I have in fact been wasting my time.

THAT was a very sad revelation. And when I thought about my weekend, everything I had wanted to do and everything that didn’t happen for one reason or another I was sadder. But sadness passes, and I have the ability to bounce back quickly.

So by tomorrow you will get a more thorough insight into my mind.

Goodnight all!

No comments:

Post a Comment