Friday, August 17, 2012

My Journal #271 - A story from my kid

I was watching football Friday night when my oldest son joined me. He told me a story that moved me. I want to share this story with you.

My kid got hooked on drugs and gambling. He went to a banger room to gamble. He was an educated kid with a college degree, so the gangs loaned him money. They loaned him $20,000. When he lost their money they made him move drugs to pay them back. My kid got addicted to these drugs.

After his third arrest I left him in jail. The gang took his truck as payment on that loan.

I was never trained to fight. I was trained for other goals. But I just had this core belief from my parents that I was unbeatable. And I had this belief in right and wrong. So I went and took the truck back. In the process of retrieving this truck, I was approached by four gang members.

Once the dust cleared, the DA asked me not to beat up any more gang
members.

Last night my kid and I were watching football. He told me that while he was in jail he was cornered by three bangers. He had no chance, so he told them in fear that if they touched him his “old man” would look for them, find them, and kill them.

He gave them my name. One of the bangers was a member of the gang that crossed my path. He pulled the other two away. At that moment my kid realized what I was, and how I had his back no matter where he was. He told me that before that moment I was just a goofy guy that talked about crap that he didn’t understand.

But in that moment he learned that his old man, even though he didn’t act like a killer, may be the meanest SOB in the world. He told me he had heard stories about my past and he believed I was just a fictional character. But in that moment in jail he realized that he had someone on his side. And that someone that loved him as a son was the same guy that the worst gang in the area feared.

I’m no one. I’m just a guy that never learned how to fail. I tell you my kid’s story so you will know that you too have me on your side . . . . . for what it’s worth.



No comments:

Post a Comment