Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Journal #255 - Fatherly advice

I’ve mentioned my dad before. He was the most brilliant man I ever met. He also was a man that seldom spoke. He was more of a listener, and he would patiently sit quietly as others spoke. But when everyone else had given their thoughts and opinions, he would speak. He would be brief and succinct. But everyone would stop whatever they were doing and listen intently.
 
He seldom gave speeches either. But he gave me about three in my lifetime. They didn’t seem like much at the time, but they all proved to be very true later on in life. Here is how I remember a speech he gave me the day I moved out. It really pertains to what I’m dealing with today.
 
“You’re leaving today, and knowing you as I do you will never come back. You are driven to keep moving forward, and taking a step back is never an option. But you should understand something that I’ve learned. There are a lot of potholes in life. And since everything you do is at 200 miles per hour while you’re thinking about places other than where you are, you will hit most of them. And you will feel them. Take a piece of advice from me. Make sure you have someone with you on your ride. I know you prefer to be a loner, but when you hit a big pothole it is good to have a woman you trust at your side to quietly hold your hand. Someday you will not only want that reassurance, but you will find you need it.”
 
I’m still looking for her, and the potholes are getting bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment