Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Journal 051

It has been a few days since I have written down anything. I had a “little” accident and have been dealing with increased amounts of pain. It’s hard to be insightful or humorous when in this condition. I will be fine soon; I always do reach that point eventually.

I will share a few points about me and my old injuries, as well as my concept of the future.

My most serious injury was playing football. On one play I broke my ankle, had two spiral fractures on my leg, a compound fracture below the knee, and tore some crap in my knee. I was told I would never play football again, and that by the time I was 35 years of age I would probably require a walker.

HA! Well sort of Ha.

I was able to play football for about 3 more years very effectively. But then my knee gave out again and I was never able to play beyond that time. As for the walker, in February prior to my 35th birthday I ran a 10K race finishing in 42 minutes and 17 seconds. Ladies, this equates to a sub seven minute mile pace for over 6 miles. I ran another last year in 48 minutes and 50 seconds.

I KNOW, you are thinking, “There he goes again bragging!”

Heck yes I am! I finished 2nd and 1st place in my respective age brackets during those races. But get this, compared to the 20 to 30 year old bracket I still would have finished 12th place out of 600 people at 34 years of age. At 49 years of age I would have finished 63rd out of 700 people younger than 30 years of age. Now that is worth bragging about, right?

Ok, since my little accident I was prescribed morphine. I haven’t taken one yet. Hey, it’s mind over matter. Now I have consumed large amounts of alcohol, but that is mostly for fun. I was told to remain on crutches for 4 weeks. I stayed off of my leg for two days, and now I stumble around in a boot with a knee brace. I will put up with this junk until Friday.

What can I say? My body heals fast because I demand it.

I will never take a pain pill as long as I live. I will never use a walker or a darn wheelchair. I will never refuse to pull my own load. You see, I believe that once you give in to the pain you have lost. Pain is just a warning and it can be ignored.

Ok, my broken fingers are swelling again so I have to stop now. Hey, does any of you own a nurse’s uniform?

Hehehehe!

1 comment:

  1. I did not know you were hurt. Poor baby. Get well soon. Sue

    ReplyDelete