Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Journal #231 - A game of catch

Ok, no political “soap-box” crap today. Nope, today I am SOOOOOOO happy.

It’s the second day of my vacation and if the rest of the days I’m off are only half as good as these two days then it will be absolutely the best vacation I’ve had in my life. Seriously!

And you know the craziest part of my happiness?

The best part of the past two amazing days was playing catch with a 7 year old kid. When he asked me I knew it was hot outside. I definitely don’t mind the heat, but I was on a date so I was dressed a bit nicer and I was actually wearing cologne. So being out in the afternoon heat might make me a bit less presentable.

Also, I never really play catch. And the kid wanted to play catch with a football. I’ve avoided footballs since my career ended. So to play catch was a stretch for me and I thought would be a bit uncomfortable. Plus I really am not recently experienced at chatting with a 7 year old.

But when I threw the first toss to him, he asked me if I could teach him to throw like I did. He said his mom told him I used to play ball. My ego monitor went straight to the ceiling. From that moment forward I had some serious fun. And I think I made a new friend.

There were so many amazing things that happened that same night; any one of which would have made my week. So I find it so odd that playing catch with a 7 year old was the highlight of a fantastic evening. But I am so glad it did happen. I had fun.

A lot of fun.

How strange life is, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment