Saturday, July 7, 2012

My Journal #238 - Dee

My oldest boy has this dog named Dee. She showed up one day in the driveway and jumped into my arms. My kid is in AA and was at the point in his recovery that he was supposed to get a pet and keep it alive. He asked, I said ok, and now Dee is a part of our family.

She is part Basset, so she hunts in the yard for birds. She is small but very active. And since we adopted her, she has slept with me in my room every night. On the 4th, while Sasha and I were enjoying the Hot tub, she became very nervous. Apparently she hates fireworks.

Something we have in common.

Her fear bothers me. I want to take the fear away, but I don’t know how. When she is with me she is completely safe. But she hasn’t realized it yet. And when I see the fear in her eyes it overwhelms me. I want her to feel safe, but I don’t know how to convince her.

I have the same challenge with a human. I believe she fears being associated with me. It’s a concept I’ve never dealt with before. Everyone that knows me knows they are safe with me. But one person hides me from her life, I believe because she is embarrassed of me.

That bothers me.

Tonight we have some lingering fireworks. Dee is in bed with me, shivering and worried. I will hold her and comfort her all night. I too fear loud noises; my fear from RPG’s exploding near my area and killing people I should have known. But I deal with it.

Someday Dee will too. She will learn to trust me, and learn that she is safe when with me.

I just hope my friend learns too, before I give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment