Thursday, July 19, 2012

My Journal #246 - Take a look in the mirror!

It’s something I have always told people to do, but it’s hard. How do you see yourself even when you stop to look?

Me? I see a guy that over thinks things, over reacts to things, has a long fuse but a big explosion at the end, and doesn’t take time to enjoy things enough. But today I got two peeks into me from others.

I’ve had a shadow this week. It’s a college culinary student that wanted to learn the food business from a managerial standpoint. So I told him to work my schedule. The first day he kept up pretty well. But I could tell he didn’t expect a 13 hour work day. (I cut it short a few hours to be nice) By the second day he had a few moments of exhaustion so I could tell the pace was rough. Yesterday he was a mess all day, and kept asking how I do it. This morning I had a voice mail message from him.

“I’m sorry but I can’t make it in today. I can’t even get out of bed. When you told me you work abnormal schedules I figured that I was half you age and there was no way you could out work me. But . . . . Well, I think I won’t be back. Thank you anyway.”

Geez, a young punk kid couldn’t keep up with me?

The second peek was due to an accident. I had a pallet jack incident at 4:30 this morning and ended up flipping and smashing my head and should on the concrete. I still have a major headache and my neck is stiff like I’m wearing a turtle neck (Damn I hate turtle necks)

Anyway, about 3 this afternoon my warehouse manager asked if I could help him as his crew was running behind. I informed him that I was only about 75% healthy and suggested he find someone else that was at 100%. He smiled and said . . .

“I’d take you at 50% over anyone else at 100%!”

I’m not sure what these mean, but at least it told me a little something about me.

Happy Friday!

Sunshine – Sure miss your smile.

Martel – So how does it feel to have to get up and work BEFORE noon?

Banana Rama – Would you read your darn email and let me know something!

Sasha Lucille – Hello? Anyone home?

Have a great weekend ladies! And think about me once . . . or twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment