Friday, July 6, 2012

My Journal #237 - Respect

Respect 
A feeling of appreciative, often deferential regard; esteem.
The state of being regarded with honor or esteem.
Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

As most of you know, honesty is a BIG deal to me. I don’t continue to associate with people that can’t be honest. Ok, one friend tends to fib (sorry HMPOA) but she always comes clean shortly after her fib. And with the important stuff, she has always been honest. And another person has deceived me on several occasions, but I have granted temporary extenuating circumstances to them.

But here’s something you may not know. Respect is also important. And here are my thoughts on respect.

I believe that respect can grow. But just like a plant, you need a seed to foster and nurture to create a rose. There has to be something there to water, or you’re just watering the sand. And nothing will ever come of it. Respect is like that. So if I see even a bit of respect for me in someone, and I want to grow that, I will feed it.

But when I see no respect then there is really no point in continuing. You see, I have a talent for making anyone I want like me. I also can formulate questions to determine if someone is being honest with me. So if someone I want to impress doesn’t like me and I have concerns about their honesty with me, I can fix that. But if there is no respect then the person is lost regardless of my wants or needs.

As for my ability to give respect, well it’s something that a person must earn. I have two modes with regard to respect; either I do or I don’t. You will never hear me say that I have “a little respect” for someone. It’s either there or it’s not. And if it’s not there then it can’t grow. So no matter what the person does to try to make me like them, if I don’t respect them then then they will fail. And if they can’t respect me then I won’t respect them.

Since I believe this to be true for me, I transfer this thought process to others. Basically, if you have no respect for me then no matter what I do to try to gain respect, I will fail. And even though I have this amazing charm and charisma, I won’t be able to make them like me if there is a lack of respect on their part.

And why do I bring this up?

I learned this week that someone who I thought had a little respect for me actually has no respect. The actions of this person clearly indicated to me that there is ZERO respect. It was hard on me to accept this fact, but part of life is accepting things you dislike. Therefore, as for this person, there is nothing to nurture and grow.

Life REALLY sucks sometimes doesn’t it?

Ok, my Friday Shout outs!

Martel – You and me girl, fighting the same demons. I hope I can be there for you as you seem to always be there for me.

Banana Rama – Hope you and your love are having the time of your life! Miss you.

Sasha Lucille – Thanks for hanging with me (last minute and all) on the 4th. We need to make hot tubs, moonlight, fireworks, and wine a tradition.

HMPOA – What can I say? How about “you are the coolest!”

Have a great weekend ladies, and think about me once!

No comments:

Post a Comment