Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Journal #235 - Painting a Picture

I have no artistic talent. I can only sing well when I am alone in a shower. The only instrument I can play is an air guitar. I can only draw using the “block approach”. I think that is why I am drawn to artistic people. They amaze me because they have something I will never have.

But for me, whether it’s music or singing or a story; it needs to paint a picture in my head. My visualization is far greater than anything in reality. And I don’t think that is unique to me. I think everyone has the ability to visualize something in their head that is far greater than man can create.

There are songs today that have a beat, and people love the song because it makes them move. I move on my own, about 20 hours a day. I don’t need something to make me move. I love a song that paints a picture in my head; a unique picture that is all mine. The song can belong to everyone, but the visualization I create is all mine.

Everyone I know has a song attached to them. It’s a song I hear whenever I think of them. And it’s a song that makes me think of them when I hear it. And that is because the visualization in my head includes them. It helps me when the person is gone for a long time, I can play the song and it feels like they are right there with me.

It paints a picture.

[Can you guess your song?]

I sort of feel a similar way about movies. I do love a good movie. I enjoy them when my mind is tired and I want someone else to paint that picture for me. But what I love the most is a good written story. The story is just a line of letters. But they create a picture in my head. And trust me when I say that Disney couldn’t match the color or details my head can create when it’s rolling.

I think that is one of the reasons I write, to allow you to paint your own pictures in your head. To allow you to put yourself in the story as the main character, or any character you choose. To allow you to fill in the blanks I left for you. Like how it feels to be touched by the person you put into my story with you. So you can imagine the scent, the texture, and the emotions without a movie doing it for you.

It’s the closest thing I have to artistic talent.

So tonight I will write you a story. You can fill in the blanks . . . and paint your own pictures.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment