Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Journal #250 - Camping & Kids

I have mentioned before that every day at 11 I go to the park near my warehouse. It’s my time to shut down, relax, and do some thinking. Some days I take a walk. Some days I sit and watch people. Some days I take a nap. But some days I just can’t help thinking.

[Believe me, I’ve had a LOT to think about lately]

Today I was thinking under a shade tree. I watched a two car load of teenagers pulled up. I watched as they got out of their vehicles and headed towards the park. I was sort of impressed with them. I mean here is a group of kids that are choosing to go to a park and experience the great outdoors.

Yet as they got closer I noticed that they weren’t observing nature. Instead they were tuned in to media. They had cell phones, Ipods, Ipads, and probably some crap I don’t even know. I watched them closer. Instead of these kids being close friends, they were a group of individuals. They weren’t talking to each other, they were communicating with people that weren’t even there . . . I guess.

I thought about myself at that age. My parents demanded we were outside constantly. They demanded we participate in outdoor sports. But what really struck me was what I did with my dad for fun.

My mom taught me how to cook, clean, launder, wash, and anything else required to keep up a home. “No boy of mine will ever leave this house ‘lest he knows how to take care of his woman!’ was the line she beat us with daily. My dad taught me how to fix things, how to build things, and how to be a respectful man.

[Well, most of it took]

But what I remember the most was the time with my dad. His idea of fun was being outdoors. He took me and my brother camping. And while camping he taught us survival techniques. He taught us how to read the sun and stars; how to read birds to anticipate weather, and how to believe in and protect nature.

My dad took me to the town I was born in and taught us not only to use weapons, but to respect weapons. He demanded we be accurate, no excuses for missing. He taught us to NEVER pull a weapon on someone to threaten them. My dad also taught us how to fish, how to hunt, and how to have fun in the outdoors.

We never took a TV, or a cell phone, or an Ipoop, or anything else. We talked to each other about our lives, our loves, and our concerns. We became more than a family, we became friends.

And more than that, my grandfather did that with my dad. My great grandfather did that for my grandfather. And I did it for my kids. But I doubt my kids will do it with my future grand kids. Unless I step in, my grandkids will never experience the bonding that happens when men visit nature together. I will take them, no excuses.

I also decide today that when someone really falls for me, I hope they have kids. I’ve decided I want to share my past with kids. I can’t have kids anymore because I’ve been snipped, so if the woman that falls in love with me doesn’t have children I will adopt.

You see, I hope that if I could introduce today’s kids to the joys of nature and talking to people then maybe I could begin to turn the tide. Maybe someday all parents will take their kids to the park, and camping, and fishing. Maybe the world will go back to the way it used to be, where families stuck together.

And on a personal note, I know two boys that really need a man in their life. If that mom reads this . . . . TRUST ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment