Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My Journal #243 - Here he goes again . . . .

Our “fearless” leader has done it again. He has now proclaimed that American Entrepreneurs are worthless. His logic is that these fine individuals, of which I am one, have done nothing. We couldn’t have succeeded without the government. Additionally, we are not brighter nor harder working than the bums that sit on their butts and benefit from our taxes.
 
His comments allude that we as entrepreneurs OWE the bums and the government for our success. I can read between the lines folks. He is setting us up for another BIG tax rate increase. He has converted an incredible number of individuals to be people that live off of government subsidies, this is his base. And they will then follow suit and vote for a tax increase so that they (in theory) can reclaim the money we supposed stole from them through our risk, sweat and efforts.
 
I ask again, ARE YOU AWAKE?
 
Maybe you never had your own business, risked everything you owned, and took a chance on self sufficiency. So let me tell you my story.
 
My first business was lawn maintenance at the ripe old age of 12. My dad had some tools and he allowed me to use them. Ok, I did “borrow” a second mower. But in all fairness, once I was making reasonable money I left $200 in the mailbox of the people I borrowed it from. I did this for 6 years. When I finally stopped the business to go off to college; I had 5 employees, a truck, my own equipment, and over 50 customers. And I had $8,000 in the bank.
 
It was hard work. I participated in two sports, and had chores to do for my folks along with attending school. So I did my work in the evenings after practice ended and on weekends after doing my chores. Every Sunday night I worked on all the equipment changing oil, replacing blades, and general cleaning. Every time I finished a yard, I asked my customer if they were satisfied, and then I asked for one lead. I followed up on EVERY lead.
 
I never saw our President offering to push a mower or dig for a sprinkler system!
My second business was in college. While in college, taking 20+ hours every semester, I worked at the school cafeteria 5 days a week from 3 pm until closing. Weekends I worked two days at a moving company. But those were my jobs. My business was “Lumping”. I would visit area grocery stores around 11 pm every night and try to “catch” a truck that needed unloading. I had no overhead or investment, but none the less I would negotiate with truck drivers and create my own income.
 
By the time I graduated I had two contract employees that I would set up and keep 10% of their income along with my own work.
 
My next business venture was a bookkeeping company. My investment was about $1,000 and I billed a flat weekly rate or a reasonable hourly rate, depending on my customers needs. To get customers I went to every small business within 50 miles. My base became machine shops, construction companies, welding shops, and privately owned bars and clubs. Three years later I had two employees that relied on me for 100% of their family income.
 
That was when I became a CPA, so I started a separate CPA firm. I technically transferred ownership of the bookkeeping company to a relative to comply with TSBPA rules and regulations. This customer base, which I achieved in a similar fashion as before, included Import and Export business and Computer Software firms.
 
I worked 7 days a week, and billed every hours I could. During this time I also formed a partnership with two other men and created a private club consulting company. I invested $20,000 into this partnership. I grew the firm by 5 more employees, including one more CPA. I eventually sold my assets and Accounting client list for $150,000. We sold the Consulting Company and my cut was another $100,000.
 
I don’t recall seeing our “fearless” leader back then either.
 
Every day I had to generate enough revenue to cover myself and my employees, and my operating costs, and my payroll taxes and of course the dreaded income tax. If I had ever had an “off day” and just couldn’t motivate myself to be aggressive, no one could be paid. So I busted my ass every day no matter what. It was my risk and my sweat that made it a success.
 
It was about this time in our history that the internet was taking off, and every owner of a software company wanted to be a millionaire. They just didn’t know how to do it. So my next business was consulting to software companies to help them find a buyer, negotiate a deal and close the sale of the business. My investment was my salary, as I did this for free. My compensation was on the back side. The owner would sign a deal stating the amount he wanted to receive when he sold. I would take 40% of every dollar received over that target number.
 
My last closing netted me over $250,000 for 8 months of work. And I never saw a bum or a government employee offering me a safety net.
 
Today I have a 15% interest in a Food Distributor Business. I usually work 6 days a week, and 5 of those days I start at 4:30 am and stay to closing which can be 5:00 pm or midnight. I help generate an income for over 40 families, and contributed to the income for most of my followers here while hopefully transferring some of my wisdom and work ethics in the process.
 
I hate to be redundant, but again there was never anyone offering me a safety net or government assistance. So I am personally offended that the leader of the greatest country in the history of the world thinks so little of drive, initiative, effort and hard work.
 
PEOPLE, WAKE UP!
 
Our “fearless” leader is currently in the process of stealing all the things that make us great, and trying to turn all those that choose not to push a lawn mower against me because I have had success. But that was my first business and it wasn’t below me to work for a living.
 
Don’t let him steal America from us Americans!

No comments:

Post a Comment