Sunday, July 8, 2012

My Journal #239 - Moral Algebra

Well, my vacation ends today. Tomorrow I go back to the busy world of business.

Urgh!

If I had to rate this vacation on a scale of 1 to 10 then I would give it a 7. But I think that could be a skewed number since it started as a 99 on a scale of 1 to 10. The rest of the week was a failure simply because I was comparing it to that first day.

Oh well, it’s my scale!

I am sitting in my room watching it rain. The rain seems fitting as a means to emphasize the end of a day. And in this case the end of a week. But just like a sunset, the rain could be the sign of something new, a new beginning.

Ben Franklin wrote a letter to a man named Priestly in which he came up with the term “moral algebra”.

“And, though the weight of the reasons cannot be taken with the precision of algebraic quantities, yet when each is thus considered, separately and comparatively, and the whole lies before me, I think I can judge better, and am less liable to make a rash step, and in fact I have found great advantage from this kind of equation, and what might be called moral or prudential algebra.”

I’ve always trusted facts, and math makes facts incontrovertible. But sometime in the past couple of years I’ve let morals, and my heart, slip into factual math. This has caused me to doubt myself on more than one occasion.

So maybe my new day includes going back to Algebra, and ignore Mr. Franklin.

The odd thing is that I feel like a part of me has died.

I can’t wait for my next vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment