Sunday, September 2, 2012

My Journal #281 - What color is your hat?

I bet your thinking since I got “rail-roaded” again last night that I will be back to bashing lies, and parading honesty. Right?

Well not exactly.

I’m one of the few true Texans that actually spent the first few years of my life a country boy. Not the type of faux country boys you see today driving monster trucks and their hats in restaurants. Nope I lived on a chicken ranch and all my cousins raised horses. So I was truly a Texas cowboy.

And today I am reminded of the true Western Movies and how great life was back then. I mean think about it . . .

All the good guys wore white hats.

All the bad guys wore black hats.

All the criminals wore scarfs over their face.

Gunfights were a one on one ordeal.

The rudest a woman was treated was to grab her arm.

Every time children or women were in trouble the good guy showed up, and saved the day.

And at the end of the movie the good guy rode off into the sunset and the women missed him.

Wouldn’t it be great today if we all had a hat assigned to us? You would either be assigned a white hat or a black hat. It doesn’t have to be a Stetson though. It could be ball caps, sun hats, or even a fedora. But if you were a good guy your hat would be white. And if someone stole it, once they put on your hat it would turn black . . . . and a scarf would appear on them.

I know, I have a HUGE trust thing. But this would be helpful, wouldn’t you agree?

It would allow me to be me. I wouldn’t have to hide myself for fear of being taken in. I could see a girl in a white hat and know that if we hit it off, I’m not going to be screwed over later. I could talk about my past, my nightmares, and my screwed up thoughts without worrying that the person will use the information for their gain, while not offering a shred of reinforcement.

There was a time I was great at picking out the white hatters and the black hatters. I could read someone in a matter of seconds and know exactly who they were. If they were a bad guy, I would just find a way to use them. If they were a good person I would cherish them and be there for them no matter what.

But I guess I’ve lost that skill. Heck, in the past few months three of my closest friends have lied to me. Oh well, I’ll just send them a black hat.

Ok . . . .

Remember that the pool is open today. I put the brisket on at 4 am, had my first beer at 7 am, and I’ve already taken a dip in the pool. The ribs will start around 2 today and the sausage and chicken will be late additions. So come on by, everyone is welcome.

Just bring you hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment