Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My Journal #289 - Pietro

“I love you, and because I love you, I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies.”
Pietro Aretino
 
I think that this sums me up better than most other quotes. I believe that if you care about someone you have an obligation to tell them any and all truths. I also believe that the difference between like and love is if you are willing to hear AND ACCEPT the truth that someone tells you.
 
Most people I consider friends feel the same way. Trust me, they bust my balls a lot when I get goofy with a girl or wander off in my own thoughts. And that type of a relationship works for all of us. Therefore, I would say we love each other. Not like we light candles and play hide the salami sort of love. It’s more the sort of love where you trust implicitly, and you never doubt.
 
In the past I tried modifying this for a few people. I guess I was so enamored with them that I hoped that the truth wouldn’t become an issue. But being deceived, even through avoidance, is like a cancer that spreads and eventual eats you alive from the inside out. In each of those instances where I tried to coexist with a non-truthful person it ended badly.
 
Well, except for HMPOA. But she ALWAYS came back within a few hours and confessed her lies. And she finally matured and now even she realizes the value of being honest with those you care about.
 
So if someone won’t be honest with you, forget them. And if you care about someone be honest with them. Like the quote says, I’d rather you hate me for being honest than adore me for lying.
 
Anyway, I just thought I would share this.

No comments:

Post a Comment