Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Journal #283 - Goodbye Cathy :(

I’ve got something to share, but first I need to give you a picture of a world from a long time ago.

When I started High School, of course I played ball. So we were required to be there around 5:00 am during the season and 6:30 am in the off season. We seldom got to leave school before 7:00 pm. There was no means to get us to and from school as busses didn’t maintain our schedule, and most of us didn’t have a car. So I formed a carpool with my football buddies.
TT was our fullback and the class Valedictorian. I think that means he was the second smartest guy in our class. He was tall, angular and blonde. His folks had some money and he was destined for the naval academy.
BB was our center and the class clown. He was short and stocky, but strong as a bull. He was bright, as most class clowns are, but he was a bit lazy. He had a younger brother that ended up being the biggest drug dealer in our area. And he drove our carpool.
SS was our middle linebacker and the wild man. We hung out a lot because we were a lot alike. The females loved to hate him. They would bad mouth him to their friends, but when he would get them alone their panties would just drop.
JQ was our tackle and the normal guy in our carpool. He was bright, hard working, and very friendly, and he was the biggest guy on our team. His folks owned a meat packing plant and his goal was to get enough of an education so he never had to work there.
BB had an old Malibu. We rode in that car every day for four years. We always sat in the same seats. We never spoke on our way to school. We usually lit a bud on our way home though. The first week of our freshman year, BB got an 8-track tape stuck in his tape player. So we had to listen to the same track, with the same song, over and over again for four years. And that song was Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow. It became the symbol for us, and one of my favorite all time songs in spite of the repetition. It wasn’t a bad life.
But it didn’t work out so great for us once we went our separate ways though.
TT decided he didn’t want to go to the naval academy, so his folks kicked him out of the house and never spoke to him again. Last I heard he preaches under a bridge in Austin today.
BB did make it to college and became an engineer. But about 25 years ago his car was found on the side of a freeway, both doors open and blood on the seat. His body was never found and no one ever heard from him again. Everyone figures it was a hit to send a message to his little brother, but we may never know.
SS became addicted to heroin and ended up frying his brain. He is locked up in a mental health institution for the rest of his life.
JQ didn’t get his scholarship. He went to work for his folks slaughtering cows. He committed suicide after his first week of work.
[Who would have thought I would be the “poster boy” for success?]
I share these stories because I got some sad news today; and I wanted to give you a glimpse of my world back then just to put things into persepctive. Needless to say, it was a difficult time. And now for the sad news. A girl I was very serious about back in High School died yesterday. She had been abusing drugs as well and apparently died from complications due to her abuse.
She was never the type to be considered a “social”. She loved hip hugger bell bottoms and tube tops when we were young. And she had the build for a tube top. She was fearless and very caring. Her personality was perfect for me. She wasn’t over-bearing, but she cared to know how I was. And if she didn’t see me or hear from me she would come looking. She called me EVERY night.
And she loved sex as much as I did, and she was just about as “curious and open” as me. She may have been my first love, I’m just not sure what love feels like. But she has a place in my heart.
The last time we were together it was a perfect day and a perfect date. We talked, we had sex, and then she put on an old jersey of mine (nothing else) and played the guitar. It was the best time I had with her, and just an absolutely perfect way to end a relationship. We didn’t know it was ending that day. But over time we sort of drifted away from each other. So that one day was our last date ever, and it was absolutely perfect.
[Now that I think about it, I think that I had another perfect final date recently as well]
Well, she’s gone now. I never spoke to her again after I left town. As kids we were a perfect match. But as adults we were just too different. So for me, take a moment for her today, she loved talking to people.
Luv ya Cathy, and I definitely miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment