Monday, September 24, 2012

My Journal #304 - Other people's standards?

Why do people lower themselves to other’s standards?

In the past few weeks I’ve seen or heard about several people I know that did just that. And I don’t understand why anyone would do that. People have certain morals, yet they relax them when they go out with friends that have lesser standards. People have certain limits, which they establish based on experience. Yet they will exceed these limits when someone else does.

And like my mom used to say, “And if Bubba Kennedy jumped off a bridge would you do it too?”

[Bubba Kennedy was my cousin and my best friend for a while, and I decided to lead not follow!]

My guess is they lower themselves because it’s easier than standing up for them. Or maybe they just don’t want a confrontation, so they relax their standards just to get by. Or maybe they are just so frightened of hurting someone’s feelings that they choose to abuse their standards instead.


I don’t mind speaking my mind, as most of you already are well aware. What I find odd is that everyone agrees that I am not judgmental. Yet most of you have accused me of judging you when I render an opinion to you. My point is that I can have an opinion about right and wrong and I can express that opinion to people I care about. I don’t worry about whether I hurt their feelings or make them mad either. They should know I care and because I care they should know I am only doing it for what I perceive is their benefit.

Hey, I could be wrong. But in case I am right (which is usually the case) I have to speak up.

So why am I different?

Am I the norm and I just can’t see all the others like me?

Why would anyone just go along?

No comments:

Post a Comment