Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Journal #313 - Winning or losing?

Normally I give you a recap of my weekend on Sunday night. I even wrote the entire thing down. And that was when I decided to delete it. I deleted it for two reasons. One, the LOVELY lady I was with ALL weekend is truly amazing. You will have to meet her to believe her. The second reason I deleted it was as I was finishing I realized I had learned two valuable lessons that I want to share.

I mean really, I am supposed to be giving advice and not just keeping a log.

But I do have to give you a little background so you can appreciate how I got to the point that I had these realizations. I met Mustang (her pen name) for a drink. We had some challenges as I had mentioned in a previous journal. But at no moment did she waiver on the goal, which was to meet. I would bet you now that if WW III broke out Friday night, she would have still expected that drink.

I love that type of a “no excuses” attitude.

We actually visited three places Friday night. I was having such a good time that I went ahead and asked her out for Saturday. (I figure I could blow off the other arrangements I had made, she was that hot) Well there was some confusion and then she invited me to a concert Saturday. I wasn’t crazy about an outdoor concert, nor was I a fan of the music. But I was a fan of hers so I happily agreed.

Now if you truly read my previous blog, some of the challenges I had encountered arranging this weekend for me was that someone was unknowingly and unintentionally wrecking all my arrangements. But Mustang didn’t know or care. She just liked being around me. We arrive at the concert and low and behold guess who I see?

YUP! If you know my story then you can guess who I saw. And of course it was a bizarre scene. And of course Mustang saw me look and pause, so she asked if I knew someone. I won’t lie to her so I sort of told her who it was. She grabbed my hand and said, “C’mon sugar. She's over there and you're here with me. And I know better than to let you get away! ”

[Sugar?]

That was when I had my first realization. I realized that for two years I have been fighting not to lose. But when Mustang pulled me away it hit me in the face that I was so focused on not losing the battle that I didn’t realize I could win the war with someone like Mustang.

That probably sounds odd, but it’s true. In battle you can become so focused on not losing a single battle that you finally look up and you’ve lost the war. And that had been my problem. And there was no way that seeing what I saw was going to cost me this time.

So now I am playing to win.

I did get worried because about 30 minutes later Mustang asked if we could leave. She said she wasn’t feeling well. I was worried that seeing what we saw may have worked its way into her thoughts and maybe she was changing her mind. I took her home, and she confessed that she was still a bit hung over from Friday night and the sun and beer made her “woozy”.

I dropped her off and went home. Two hours later she called me. She said she took a nap, took a shower, and felt better. Then she asked if my previous offer to come to my house, sit out at the pool, drink wine, and listen to Jazz music was still available. She arrived 30 minutes later. And folks, Saturday night was the most beautiful and comfortable night in months.

She didn’t leave until late . . . or early depending on how you view post-midnight time.

Today I sent her a text, and she replied. We talked on the phone and sent text message throughout the day. About 5 pm, I got a text. It was a reply to an urgent text I had sent Saturday morning to someone else. And that was when I had my second realization. So I sent a text to Mustang asking her why she replies to every call and text, and was it just because she wanted to impress me. She said no. She said in her opinion if someone takes the time to send a text, and respects her enough to send it to her; then she would respect them enough to reply.

So my second realization was that when someone ignores you, it means they don’t have any respect for you. And if they don’t respect me it’s hard for me to give them respect in return. This may sound minute, but to me it is big.

Ok, I want to call Mustang and say goodnight. So ladies, I must bid you adieu.

What a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment