Monday, October 1, 2012

My Journal #310 - Train Whistles

Last Thursday morning, while I was walking from my car to the warehouse, I heard a train horn.

The warehouse is located between two train tracks. All day every day trains are running back and forth. For most of my time here those trains were the biggest nuisance in the world. You would be trying to leave the warehouse and you would be blocked by a train, and sometimes trapped between two trains.

In the middle of the day, when I am trying to have a discussion on the dock, train horns would be blasting and no one could hear anything. The tracks are on an old road so to cross them it’s like driving over deep cobblestone, and it wrecks the alignment of your car. And crap is constantly falling off or breaking off of the train cars. I’ve had 14 flat tires in 15 years here, most of those were picked up crossing the tracks.

So the trains sucked . . . . Until I had no place to live.

When I was homeless and living in my car, many nights I would park at the warehouse. The upside of doing that is I could lock the gate behind me. That meant I could actually sleep without listening for thieves or pimps trying to rob me.

About three trains came by the first night, each one blasting the horn for about 5 minutes as they pass. Each time it woke me. After the first night parking there I was seriously fed up with trains.

But on the second night, as I just beginning to doze, I heard the train horn blasting again. For some strange reason it didn’t bother me. It was actually comforting to me. I guess that by hearing that horn I knew that I was safely in a locked parking area. That meant for one night I could sleep with both eyes closed.

I heard another train about 3:30 in the morning. That one became my alarm clock. When I heard it not only did I know it was time to get up, since it was freezing outside it also meant I got to go inside a heated building. You see, it usually got to about 40 degrees inside of the car at night. And I hate being cold. So that blast meant I was getting warm again.

Somehow I began to enjoy the train blasts.

So Thursday morning when I heard that train, it really put me in a good place.
I know, boring story. I just wanted to share it. It's part of my therapy?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment